Sunday 26 May 2013


Afternoon delight.

The other day I had finished my mornings work and the afternoon lay before me begging to be filled with fishing, so I donned my waders to continue my exploration of the Water of Leith. I decided it was time to search upstream from my normal haunts and started at the stretch above the Dean Village. I was using my LRF gear, ( 7'10" Graphiteleader Corto EX rod, Shimano Technium 3000SFC reel and 8lb Sunline Super PE braid), on the business end I went with the faithful combo of 1" Gulp! Minnow mounted on a #10 1.4g Shirasu Fine jighead.

I must have been wading for about an hour before I saw a fish. I was casting across current and allowing the lure to swing round before retrieving it back upstream. As the lure passed alongside an underwater wall there was a gold flash as a trout slashed at the lure. It missed and chased the lure right to my feet before grabbing it and ripping it off the jighead.

I took my time re-rigging as I was worried it had seen me and this time I went with a tail section of Gulp! Sandworm. I cast across current, gave a couple of turns of the handle and the trout was on it! The trout played merry hell with me in the current but soon it was in the net, another lovely Water of Leith brownie around the 30cm mark. I slipped it back upstream hoping there would be a few more in the pool but I ended up wading really far downstream and there was no more action.

Safely in the net!
Brown trout have some nice markings, this one was no exception.
On release the fish just hovered in the current in front of me, perfect!

I did discover a few more nice runs and pools and as the river warms up I think they may hold some nice fish. As always I can't wait to do it again!

Tight lines, Schogsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment